Saturday 7 April 2018

Book Review - Our House by Louise Candlish

Amazon UK
Title: Our House
Author: Louise Candlish
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Publication Date: 5th April 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


FOR BETTER, FOR WORSE.
When Fi Lawson arrives home to find strangers moving into her house, she is plunged into terror and confusion. She and her husband Bram have owned their home on Trinity Avenue for years and have no intention of selling. How can this other family possibly think the house is theirs? And why has Bram disappeared when she needs him most?

FOR RICHER, FOR POORER.
Bram has made a catastrophic mistake and now he is paying. Unable to see his wife, his children or his home, he has nothing left but to settle scores. As the nightmare takes grip, both Bram and Fi try to make sense of the events that led to a devastating crime. What has he hidden from her – and what has she hidden from him? And will either survive the chilling truth – that there are far worse things you can lose than your house? 

TILL DEATH US DO PART.


I'm not sure what it says when on coming to the last page of the book, I am so convinced that I must have a broken download and that the book couldn't possibly end there, that I run to my room, to double check my paperback proof copy to see if that really was the ending or not!   Well it was, and my head is spinning as a result. Is it too soon to ask for a sequel?  I think this may be one of those books where the reader really is left to draw their own conclusions. 

But then nothing about this book was possibly as I expected, and it is one that covers huge topics and arguably gives a great how to guide for how to pull of various crimes, although how successfully, and the affects on your mental health may vary! 

What would you think if you returned home one day to find another family moving into your house, despite knowing 100% that you hadn't sold the house.  Then take into account that your soon to be ex-husband isn't answering the phone and he is the only other one that may be able to explain what is going on.   Well that is what happens to Fi at the start of this book. 

Now alternating with Fi's perspective we get the full story from Bram, her husband, and can see the lengths a desperate man will go to and how a few errors of judgment can quickly escalate.  

The timelines move about a bit during the book, and the majority of it is the explanation of the events of the past 6 months, from both Bram and Fi's point of view.  I'm not sure how much I identified with either character but what I was sure of was I wanted to see how it would all turn out, and just what all the reasoning behind it was. 

Of course nothing is quite that straight forward and as the story ramps up, there are some twists and turns, some that I sort of saw coming and others that did blindside me.  All of which added up to a very compulsive read that I was hooked on. 

Thank you to Simon and Schuster and Negalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...