Sunday 15 April 2018

Book Review - The Man I Think I Know by Mike Gayle

Amazon UK
Title: The Man I Think I Know
Author: Mike Gayle
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 19th April 2018
Rating: 5 Stars

Ever since The Incident, James DeWitt has stayed on the safe side.

He likes to know what happens next.

Danny Allen is not on the safe side. He is more past the point of no return.

The past is about to catch up with both of them in a way that which will change their lives forever, unexpectedly.

But redemption can come in the most unlikely ways.

Really no idea about to review this as the specifics that make James and Danny such special characters are best discovered by the reader. I truly believe going into this book with no preconceptions or thoughts as to what greatness would lie between its pages was the best way forward as anything else would have spoilt the surprise. 

I have always enjoyed Mike Gayle's writing but although this does feature male friendship this a book that is sweet, heartwarming, and talks of new chances and two characters who really do experience huge personal growth as the story progresses. 

Although they don't realise it at first both Danny and James really need each other in their lives, and they both think they are helping the other.  It is not the most likely of fledgling friendships how it begins, especially once you know both mens startin circumstances, 

What I am delighted to be able to say was that I was gripped and moved by the story, I just wanted more and more of these two remarkable young men and their stories. The book alternates viewpoints between James and Danny and I loved getting to know both of them on many levels. 

This book felt very different to the majority of the others I've read by Mike Gayle and if this is the new direction he is taking his writing, then I can only applaud him. The Man I Think I Know is a remarkable book that I wish could have continued for longer. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Hodder & Stoughton for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...