Sunday 25 June 2017

Book Review - Meet Me at the Lighthouse by Mary Jayne Baker - Fab Firsts



Fab Firsts is my new regular Sunday feature, that is going to be highlighting books that are firsts. When interviewing authors, it will be about their first book, as well as other firsts in their lives. When reviewing books for this feature, there will be a mix of debuts, first books in a series, the first time I read an author, and possibly other firsts depending on what I can think of!

If you are an author wanting to take part in Fab Firsts then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you.

I hope you enjoy this look at a variety of hopefully fabulous firsts, while making some sort of dent in my review and paperback TBRs which are my current main focus!

Although not the first book by Mary Jane Baker, this is the first one that I have read.

Amazon UK
Title: Meet Me at the Lighthouse
Author: Mary Jane Baker
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harper Impulse
Publication Date: 30th June 2017
Rating: 4 Stars


The day I turned 28, I bought a lighthouse and met the love of my life’

Bobbie Hannigan’s life in a cottage by the sea with her dog and her twin sister is perfectly fine … until she decides the logical thing is to buy a lighthouse and open a music venue with Ross Mason, the first boy she ever kissed.

Bobbie tries to be professional with Ross, but the happily-ever-after they’re working toward is too good to resist. That is until someone from his past crawls back to cause trouble. Can Bobbie look past the secrets Ross has been keeping from her? Or will the boy, the lighthouse, and the dream all slip away?

Escape to the Yorkshire coast this summer with this laugh out loud romantic comedy from Mary Jayne Baker!

Well its not often that you start a book with an impulse purchase of a lighthouse! And its the small act of marginal madness that not only sets off a chain of events for Bobbie and old friend Ross, but also sets the tone perfectly for the rest of the book. 

For this is lovely light hearted story, with a lighthouse and some interlinked love stories at the heart of it. The lighthouse itself is the focal point, and Bobbie and Ross do have a master plan for it, which involves fundraising initially and then music.

There is just a fun and pleasant story that made me smile throughout it. It's the first book I have read by the author, and I loved her writing style, and general sense of humour. It is just such a quirky story and I loved everything to do with the Lighthouse itself.  

The book is easy to follow and there are a few small surprises along the way. What really helped make the book so great were some of the characters. There is Bobbie's mother who gives potential new boyfriends a Spanish Inquisition style grilling, there is an old thespian who is just OTT, there is a bar owner who does a great line in bad chat up lines, and bizarre dress sense, there is an ex wife that seemingly has her own agenda, and an ex boyfriend who I really didn't like at all, for reasons that will become apparent as you read the book. 

Meet Me at the Lighthouse is a lovely story to read on a relaxed and sunny weekend, or at any other time really, and was a great introduction for me to a new author who I definitely will be interested in reading more from. 

Thank you to Harper Impulse and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...