Saturday 22 April 2017

Book Review - The CEO Buys In by Nancy Herkness - Back Catalogue Books


Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 

I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!

I won this a few years ago in a Goodreads giveaway and it has taken until now to actually pick it up, of course now I'd like to read the other books in this series! 

Amazon UK
Title:  The CEO Buys In
Author: Nancy Herkness
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Competition Win
Publisher: Montlake Romance
Publication Date: 21st July 2015
Rating: 4 Stars

Self-made billionaire Nathan Trainor feels restless and disillusioned. His company may be thriving, but he can’t find a woman who sees him for more than his wealth. With his love life in the red, he meets two other billionaire bachelors at the ultra-exclusive Bellwether Club. The three of them make a wager of the heart: they must find women who love them for who they are, not their money.

Savvy office temp Chloe Russell is trying to scrape together the money she needs to support her grandmother. So when a flu epidemic strikes Trainor Electronics and she’s promoted to Nathan Trainor’s assistant, she jumps at the lucrative opportunity. But then Nathan himself falls ill, and he and Chloe must work from his penthouse while he recuperates. Before long, it’s clear there’s genuine heat between them, and it’s more than just a fever spike. Will Nathan win Chloe’s heart—and the bet? Or will their differences destroy any chance for love?

I'm lucky enough to have a signed copy of The CEO Buys In, and the author signed it with a simple message "Love or Money?", which having now read the book makes perfect sense to me, as it is the main theme of the book. 

Nathan Trainor is a billionaire, and along with 2 new acquaintances make a bet to see whether within a year they can find women to fall in love with them, for the people they are and not their wealth and circumstances. I believe the stories of the other 2 men will be in books 2 and 3 of this series, so this book was all about Nathan. 

Whereas Chloe Russell is a temp that hates big corporate companies, but desperately needs money to help provide a carer for her grandmother. So she agrees to temp at Trainor Electronics, and thanks to a nasty flu epidemic ends up working as Nathan's PA. 

The whole way through Chloe is clearly against the trappings of the billionaire lifestyle but is quite happy ot be paid more than her temping rate, for some of the more unusual working circumstances she finds herself in.  It also become apparent quite early on that Chloe and Nathan have a good amount of sexual chemistry.

There is a lot of sex in this book, and some of it was more enjoyable to read than the rest, and for a romance book such as this, quite often its the intimate scenes that make or break a story for me, and I found myself skimming some of them. 

I loved how caring Chloe was towards her grandmother, in fact I loved the grandmother, but I also found myself smiling every time she stood up to Nathan, and wouldn't let him buy her everything! The dynamics between Nathan and his friends and family were quite interesting and I found myself really enjoying a lot of the characters in the book. 

Ultimately I pretty much knew the outcome of the story before it even started, as it is exactly as you would expect in a romance. However I did really enjoy the journey to that point, and also getting a glimpse into the lifestyle of a billionaire. 

The CEO Buys In was very enjoyable, and a good piece of escapism for an otherwise boring day. It's an easy read, that will have you wondering whether love or money is more important, and has left me very tempted to buy the next books in the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...