Saturday 15 October 2016

Book Review - The Oddest Little Christmas Cake Shop by Beth Good - Back Catalogue Books


Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 

I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it! 

So today I have a review of The Oddest Little Cake Shop, which is just one of many books by Beth Good about odd little shops dotted around the place. 

Amazon UK
Title: The Oddest Little Christmas Cake Shop
Author: Beth Good
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Thimberlig Books
Publication Date: 8th November 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


A FUN AND FESTIVE ROMANCE TO WARM YOUR HEART AND MAKE YOU LAUGH!

Rosie Redpath can light up a room just by smiling, or so her nan Nora says. And Rosie thinks she knows exactly what she wants from life when she takes a temporary job at Minchin's Cake Shop. But then she meets the ultra-sexy Russian baker Pyotr and falls head-over-heels with his delicious Christmas cakes.

Only problem is, cake impresario Pyotr has a secret he's been hiding for a long time. Could Rosie be the right woman to help him solve it this Christmas? 

I found The Oddest Little Christmas Cake Shop to be a charming little novella with a lot of action and surprises along the way. 

I was impressed by this novella, it features Rosie who is just trying to get her first job out of uni, and finds one at Minchin's Cake Shop, but things are definitely not as they seem at the shop. Mrs Minchin takes an instant dislike to her, Colin who works in the shop is around Rosie's age and seems to be quite on the level. 

Then there is Pyotr, the sexy Russian baker who is co-owner of the shop, who is clearly hiding things from everyone, and I doubt even your wildest guess would be able to predict just what is going on for him, but suffice to say it was intriguing and had me completely gripped. 

I found The Oddest Little Christmas Cake Shop to be a very easy to read book, will have you hooked for an hour or two, with its description of the Cake shop, to all the drama involved, plus a brooding romance. I sometimes find novellas can feel slightly lacking, but in this case I can safely say that this felt like a very complete story, and even a decent bit of background to the characters too, to add the extra dimension. 

A thoroughly enjoyable story, that wasn't overly festive so could easily be read all year around, and although it was my first introduction to this author, it certainly won't be the last time. I am looking forward to working through the rest of her books in due course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...