Wednesday 27 January 2016

Book Review - Redemption Song by Laura Wilkinson

Amazon UK
Title: Redemption Song
Author: Laura Wilkinson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied review copy
Publisher: Accent Press
Publication Date: 28th January
Rating: 3 Stars


If you lost everything in one night, what would you do? 

Saffron is studying for a promising career in medicine until a horrific accident changes her life for ever. Needing to escape London, she moves to a small coastal town to live with her mother. Saffron hates the small town existence and feels trapped until she meets Joe, another outsider. Despite initial misgivings, they grow closer to each other as they realise they have a lot in common. Like Saffron, Joe has a complicated past … one that’s creeping up on his present. Can Joe escape his demons for long enough to live a normal life – and can Saffron reveal the truth about what really happened on that fateful night? Love is the one thing they need most, but will they – can they – risk it? 
Redemption Song is a captivating, insightful look at what happens when everything goes wrong – and the process of putting the pieces back together again. 

Saffron had fled to a small welsh seaside town after a terrible car accident, with her mother Rain. As the story progresses we understand the whole truth about the accident, and very slowly she starts to heal. 

However what kept me reading was my curiosity about Joe. Joe was clearly hiding something, but will he ever tell Saffron the truth about his past. The reader only gets small hints, and when by the time I eventually discovered his reasons, I found I wasn't too bothered anymore. 

The main reason I didn't fully connect with this story is probably due to Rain's profession. She is a minister and although the religious aspect wasn't in your face, I found the regular references to her faith, just made me slightly uncomfortable, as I don't really like religious or faith based books. Had I known about that aspect in advance I may been more reluctant to read the book to start with. 

Unfortunately I found that the only characters I really enjoyed were Saffron's new friend Ceri and her father. They were lovely and a real tonic to the book. I feel that Redemption Song fell flat for me, despite an intriguing blurb and a good start to the story. 

Thank you to Laura Wilkinson and Accent Press for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...