Thursday 30 July 2015

Book Review - I Knew You Were Trouble by Paige Toon

Amazon UK
Title: I Knew You Were Trouble - Jessie Jefferson Book 2
Author: Paige Toon
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's UK
Publication Date: 30th July 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


Life as the undercover daughter of a rock god isn't going to be easy. How will Jessie adjust to her old boring life again after spending her summer living it up with her dad in LA? With tough decisions ahead (and not just choosing between two hot boys), can she cope juggling her two very different lives? 

Summer may be over, but Jessie's story is just beginning…

I have been desperately wanting to get my hands on a copy of this book, from the second I finished The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson and it was definitely worth the wait. In fact my only complaint about this book is that I read it far too fast as I was so absorbed by it, and I fear I will have an even longer wait for book 3 in this fabulous series. 

Those of you who read my reviews regularly may have noticed I may be a bit of a Paige Toon fangirl, and having read this my opinions of her have gone up even higher. 

I Knew You Were Trouble deals with when Jessie returns to England, and having to go back to school, while knowing she is the daughter of Johnny Jefferson, but trying to act normal, It isn't before long that the press get wind of who she is, and then Jessie's life changes for ever. 

We see a lot of Jessie's friendships both with her school friends and new boyfriend Tom, but also the crowd she was hanging around with in Los Angeles last time around. The budding relationship with Tom, is very sweet, and it is clear he really cares about her. It is also good to see Jessie is making new friends at school and that an older friendship is starting to strengthen again. 

Although this can be read as a stand alone, I am so glad I had read the first one, as I find with series, the more you read, the better you get to know and love the characters. 

This is definitely true of Meg and Johnny. They are adjusting as well to having a new 15 year old daughter in their lives, and there are some lovely scenes between Johnny and Jessie. It is clear that he really loves her and is trying his hardest to be a father figure, and relations between Jessie and Meg seem a lot friendlier this time around. 

One of the things I love about this book is that it gives real insight into the crazy life of a teenager of famous parents, although the media frenzy surrounding Jessie was always going to be insane, since she is the "long lost daughter".  I think young adults especially that read this, that may be celebrity mad, will stop and think twice if instant celebrity is really what they want, after reading this book, as all Jessie really wants is a normal life, without bodyguards following her everywhere. She starts longing for the very things that the majority of people take for granted - privacy, anonymity, and to be able to decide which boy shes actually in love with!

I Knew You Were Trouble is a fabulous continuation of Jessie Jefferson's story. It is witty, upbeat and entertaining and just perfect to read over the summer holidays. And don't worry about it being a young adult title, older adults will enjoy this too, or at least I know I did. I loved every single second of this book, and read it in a matter of hours, as I couldn't bring myself to put it down. 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Childrens for this review copy. This was my honest review. 

I Knew You Were Trouble is published today. Happy Publication day Paige. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...