Thursday 11 June 2015

Guest Post - Eve Devon's inspiration behind The Dress, featured in Magical Weddings

‘Fashions fade, style is eternal.’ –Yves Saint Laurent

Hello everyone, and thank you Rachel, for inviting me to talk about the inspiration behind my latest book ‘The Dress’, which is one of the novellas included in the Magical Weddings box-set.

When you write romance, half the fun is writing about metaphorical magic and its Happy Ever Afters. With the theme of Magical Weddings I got double the fun by venturing into the world of real magic too, to see what it could bring to my story.

Maybe it was ‘magic’ at work, or maybe it was Google knowing how much I love internet window-shopping(!), but one moment I was researching wedding traditions and folklore…the next I’d clicked on an entry about fashion in wedding dresses.

There amongst the glossy photographs of fairy-tale gowns in familiar fashionable silhouettes was a photograph of Grace Kelly in her wedding gown. The gown, designed by one of the costume designer’s at MGM film studios, had the most exquisite lace bodice and veil. You can find out more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_dress_of_Grace_Kelly

I was so struck by the timelessness of the gown and the romance of the lace that I started jotting down everything I could find about lace-making. My research journey took me to 17th century Venice, and exceptionally skilled lacemakers producing beautifully intricate and detailed work. 

And that was all it took—a photograph of Grace Kelly’s wedding gown and an article on the history of lace in romantic Venice, for me to start wondering what would go into creating a wedding dress that remained timeless through fashion forever? Probably a mixture of adventure, love, and a touch of magic, I thought ;)

The Dress 

Venice, 1615 and instead of the man her father wants her to marry, lacemaker Caterina dreams of Matheo. But when she dabbles with magical lace, she falls foul of the ruling family, altering not only her destiny, but Matheo’s too, and now imprisoned, Caterina must design a way to entwine their fates again. 

England, 2015 and when Cait bumps into Matthew, back from his travels for their friends’ wedding, the spark between them flares instantly. But is it another case of the right place at the wrong time for this bridesmaid and best man, or can a dress from Cait’s lace exhibition at the Museum of Fashion weave its magic through the fabric of time, and unite their destinies, too?

Magical Weddings

15 Enchanting Romances: Whether real or only in the hearts of the bride and groom, the magic of weddings is undeniable. And irresistible! As these 15 enchanting happily-ever-afters by bestselling and award-winning authors prove.
From sweet to spicy, the romances bundled into this set, 14 of them new releases, cross time and unite hearts, cast spells of laughter, battle wedding jitters and fight back tears, while weaving love’s hopeful magic throughout 1400 pages.


Purchase Links:-  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Google Play | iTunes | Kobo


About Me:

Growing up in locations like Botswana and Venezuela gave me quite the taste for adventure and my love for romances began when my mother shoved one into my hands in a desperate attempt to keep me quiet during TV coverage of the Wimbledon tennis finals!

When I wasn’t consuming books by the bucket-load, I could be found pretending to be a damsel in distress or running around solving mysteries and writing down my adventures. As a teenager, I wrote countless episodes of TV detective dramas so the hero and heroine would end up together every week. As an adult, I worked in a library to conveniently continue consuming books by the bucket-load, until realising I was destined to write contemporary romance and romantic suspense myself. 

I live in leafy Surrey in the UK, a book-devouring, slightly melodramatic, romance-writing sassy heroine with my very own sexy hero husband!

You can find out more about me here: Website | Twitter | Facebook

Thank you so much Eve, for taking the time to share your inspiration with us, and Magical Weddings sounds like a great bundle of stories. At the time of writing this, 99p for 15 stories is fantastic value for money, and well worth a look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...